Saturday, September 15, 2007

Actively Pro-Life

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well" (Psalm 139:13-14, NIV).

In 1990, Chuck Swindoll produced a book titled Sanctity of Life, in which he made the case for being pro-life. Then he offered these suggestions regarding how to put pro-life convictions into action:

1. "First of all, volunteer your time, energy, and financial resources." Many crisis pregnancy centers and adoption agencies could use volunteers and additional finances. I recommend Christian Services of Oklahoma (http://www.christian-adoption.org) since it helped us to adopt.

2. "Second, make your home available to unwed mothers and/or be of support to homes that are open to them." This is an excellent idea. We volunteered to do this once when the need was mentioned during church services, but someone got ahead of us in line and was able to meet the need before we could. Now we could not do it, because we do not have the spare room. However, others may be able to do it.

3. "Third, write letters and make phone calls." Occasionally, I have written to leaders in our government, asking them to help protect the lives of children. Congressman John Sullivan has been exceptionally responsive, whether I have asked him to vote against abortion or to vote for funding AIDS drugs for poor pregnant women in Africa. Others have not been so responsive. Also, local newspapers will print pro-life letters to the editor every once in a while.

4. "Fourth, participate in demonstrations of your personal preference." I attended a couple of pro-life rallies at the state capitol building while in college, but I have not done anything like it in many years. I have not found it to be something that fits me personally.

5. "Fifth, participate in community projects." I am not sure what Chuck Swindoll had in mind with that suggestion, since he did not give examples. However, I hear about the Walk for Life or pro-life banquets every once in a while, but we have never been involved (except for a banquet for our adoption agency).

6. "Practice in your private life what you claim to believe publicly." Mr. Swindoll suggested that we practice sexual morality, refuse the option of abortion when the possibility arises in our own lives, and consider adoption.

He also wrote, "It is extremely important that you (1) select one with which you are comfortable and (2) refrain from judging another person for not choosing the option you prefer. Great grace is need here. I know whereof I speak! It hurt when I was told over the phone recently that because I chose not to participate in a certain way as the caller told me I should, he responded angrily by assuring me I would 'answer for it in the day of judgment.' Such an exclusive, judgmental attitude polarizes an otherwise united front that various meaningful involvements provide. People need to be given the freedom to respond as God leads them." Those are good words. We are not all the same, and we can work in different ways toward the same good goal without judging each other (as long as we are not working against each other). However we choose to get involved, let's contribute to saving the lives of some children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, i should refrain from judging others, and forgive those who judge me. maybe wisdom comes from a little judging of myself, as hard as that can be, but, i guess maybe it is not such a bad idea for me to look in the mirror every day, not to admire myself but to really see into my eyes and heart as God might see me. good visiting....God's blessings be with you always.

Terry Laudett said...

Those were very insightful observations, Nancy. Thanks for sharing them. Sometimes it can be difficult to recognize that we are on the same team, when we have different areas of expertise, experience, and interests. Some may be better at comforting, others at giving, others at preaching, others at scholarship, etc. Some may have a passion for television ministry, others for orphans, others for apologetics, etc. But we can all work together in a way that honors God and builds each other up.