Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Did You Know Some People Hate You?

This was our conversation in the car on the way home from church tonight.

Christopher: Dad, did you know some people hate you?

Me: Yeah, I'm sure that's true. Why did you ask that question?

Christopher: A boy at school hates me.

Me: Does he have a reason to hate you?

Christopher: He wants to play with Aiden, but Aiden doesn't want to play with him. Aiden wants to play with me instead.

Me: Oh. The other boy is jealous. That's also called envy. He wants something that you have, but he can't get it. He wants to play with Aiden, but Aiden wants to play with you instead of him...Could both you and Aiden play with that boy?

Christopher: He's the boy who hit me on the arm.

Janet: You don't have to play with him.

Me: No. You don't have to play with him. It's okay if some people hate you. Not everyone is going to like you. Not everyone likes me...and that's okay. You don't need to try to be liked by everyone.

Tomorrow, I think I'll bring this topic up again as we go over Christopher's latest memory verse ("Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse"--Romans 12:14).

2 comments:

Christy said...

It doesn't get any easier as we grow older, does it? My husband is working with a man who HATES him, but I know it's Jesus the man really hates.

Terry Laudett said...

Christy,
You're right. I think this might be the first time someone has not liked Christopher, so he was not sure how to handle it. It's a part of life that we never get used to.