Wednesday, February 28, 2007

One Fear

"I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that have no more that they can do. But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!" (Luke 12:4-5, NASB)

Jim Roberts, one of our great teachers in the Contact Church of Christ, says, "One of the most frequent commands in the Bible is: 'Fear not.' Why? Because God knew that we would be afraid."

His words have prompted me to think: What would it be like to fear God alone?

Fearing God would mean fearing sin. I would hate the way it dishonors God. I would hate its effects on me. I would despise its impact on other people.

Ironically, fearing God would mean inner peace, knowing that the God I fear is also the God who gave His Best for me, the God who would rather absorb His anger Himself through His Son than take it out on me.

Fearing God alone would empower my humility. I would be able to admit my failures and sins without fear of what anyone else might think.

Fearing God alone would inspire fearless obedience. I would take risks without worrying about embarrassment, failure, or difficulty.

Fearing God alone would free me to live life as it was intended to be lived. It would mean a life of faith, a life of power, a life of courage, and a life fully free to love. It would mean living for the honor and glory of God.

No comments: