Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Partial Birth Abortion Decision

"For You formed my inward parts;
You wove me in my mother's womb" (Psalm 139:13, NASB).

Last week, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Congress could outlaw partial birth abortions. For the first time since 1973, a method of killing pre-born children has been banned. I appreciate the courage of the 5 Justices who ruled in favor of protecting children from unnecessary abortions performed as the children were being born.

I look forward to the time when unnecessary abortions will be as socially unacceptable as racism. Someday, I would like to see the laws of our country changed to protect pre-born children from death, just as they were changed to protect minorities from discrimination. I would like to see pro-abortion politicians find it as difficult to be elected as segregationists find it. I would like to see advertisers pull their ads from radio programs that support unrestricted abortions, just as they pull such ads today from programs that use racist language. I would like to see a massive change in societal attitudes toward aborting children.

It may seem impossible, but it's not. Consider the changes that have taken place over the last 50 years in the area of racism. Has it been eliminated? No, but it does not retain the respect that it had 50 years ago. Will unnecessary abortions be eliminated? No, but significant changes can occur. This injustice can be fought successfully. Lives can be saved. The Supreme Court's decision was a step in the correct direction.

For a good article by John Piper on this issue, go to: http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TasteAndSee/ByDate/2007/2159_Let_the_Python_Eat_Its_Tail_Amen/

No comments: