Thursday, June 05, 2008

Offensive Kindness

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience" (Colossians 3:12, NIV).

I'm working on moving beyond passive and defensive kindness, the type of kindness expressed when I'm interrupted by someone in need. Such kindness is good, but I often feel awkward because I am caught off guard. I prefer to be prepared to help people.

I want to take the offensive in being kind. I want to be prepared, to take initiative, and to be intentional in expressing kindness. I want to wake up every morning thinking, How can I show kindness to someone today? Who needs an encouraging word? Could someone use a phone call? Could I send an e-mail, a message, or a comment to help someone or to brighten someone's day? Does someone need money, food, or a ride to work? Could I help a co-worker struggling with an injury, an illness, or a loss in the family? How can I let my wife know that I love her? What would my son like for me to do with him or for him? Could I come to the defense of someone being falsely maligned or abused?

How would my world change if I consistently prepared myself to take the offensive in showing kindness?

No comments: