Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Power Behind the "Get To" Lifestyle

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God--this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing, and perfect will" (Romans 12:1-2).

Our preacher Ron Babbit does not say "I have to." Instead, he says "I get to." For example, Ron says,

"I get to teach the darlins and clowns in Sunday school..."
"I get to go into the hood and sling the word..."
"I get to help Odie Mae move into her new apartment..."
"I get to forgive that cat who took advantage of me..."

By his example, Ron Babbit teaches us that mercy turns obligations into opportunities. He does not approach life as being full of obligations he has to fulfill; rather, he sees life as being full of opportunities he gets to enjoy. How can he see life in such a manner? Because each of his sentences above ends with these words:

"...because of the One who died on the cross for me."

The mercy of God gives us the power to approach even difficult tasks with a sense of gratitude and joy.

No comments: