Sunday, January 23, 2011

Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and Other Gems from Proverbs



"Prize (wisdom) highly, and she will exalt you;
she will honor you if you embrace her" (Proverbs 4:8).


Last month, Beth Herring held a drawing on her blog (http://aninstrument4hisglory.blogspot.com) for a copy of Warren Baldwin's Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and Other Gems from Proverbs. I received the book in late December.

As the title indicates, this book is full of gems of wisdom from the biblical book of Proverbs. The 201-page book is a collection of short articles, each one dealing with a different proverb, making it an excellent resource for personal or family devotionals.

As the author explains, "Wisdom in Proverbs has to do with skill in relationships. Wisdom means knowing when and how to encourage, rebuke, soothe, or scold. To be wise in a relationship means not demeaning people, mocking them, or hurting their feelings. Wisdom means knowing how to communicate value, love, and dignity to others. Wisdom also means caring about others in your life and working to serve their needs" (page 27).

In Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and Others Gems from Proverbs, Warren Baldwin consistently encourages virtues like honesty, kindness, faithfulness, and humility. I can highly recommend this book, because as I read it, I kept thinking: This makes me want to be a better man. If you would like to be inspired to be a better person, this is a book for you.

Roaring Lions, Cracking Rocks, and Other Gems from Proverbs may be ordered from www.warrenbaldwin.com, www.amazon.com, and www.barnesandnoble.com.

7 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Terry - I am so glad that you enjoyed the booked as much as i did. Warren is a superb writer and he is an amazing man of God.

Terry Laudett said...

Thank you, Beth. I really appreciated the book, and I agree with you about Warren.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the review! I look forward to reading Warren's book! I appreciate your comment over @ Life Lessons, and wanted to respond: I can totally relate! Sometimes I get so focused on my 'to do' list that just 'being' with the Lord becomes just one more thing to check off my list. Fortunately, the Holy Spirit nudges me and helps me to discern the most important thing - getting to know the Lord. It's all about relationship! The works will flow out of a heart of love for the Savior! Have a truly blessed week!

Terry Laudett said...

Thank you, Maria. I enjoy reading your blog. You always share some great wisdom.

Warren Baldwin said...

Thanks for the review, Terry! It was a wonderful feeling to link over here and find this posted! I'm glad you liked it and appreciate your kind words. God bless,
Warren

Terri Tiffany said...

I see you know Warren! I loved his book and he is such a wise man. Nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by my blog today. I will be back!

Terry Laudett said...

Warren,
You're welcome! You wrote an outstanding book. I keep thinking about some of it's ideas.

Terri,
Thanks for stopping by my blog, too. I discovered Warren's writings several months ago and have been hooked ever since. I'll keep checking in on your blog, too.