Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Exam at the Last Supper

"When evening came, Jesus arrived with the Twelve. While they were reclining at the table eating, he said, 'I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me---one who is eating with me.'
They were saddened, and one by one they said to him, 'Surely not I?'
'It is one of the Twelve,' he replied, 'one who dips bread into the bowl with me'" (Mark 14:17-20, NIV).

When we take part in the Lord's Supper today, we are following a tradition that started with Jesus' last supper before his execution by crucifixion.

Later, Paul the apostle would call upon Christians to examine themselves before eating the Lord's Supper.

I find it interesting that the original disciples also examined themselves during the last supper. They had to ask themselves, "Do I have the heart of a traitor? Could I betray Jesus? How important is he to me?"

Those are good questions for us to ask ourselves today as we take part in the Lord's Supper. Do I have the heart of a traitor? Could I betray Jesus? How important is Jesus to me? If we can think about those questions, they can help us to become what God wants us to be as we honor Jesus.

2 comments:

preacherman said...

Terry,
Excellent post.
I believe that we still must do so today. I feel that in many churches that the Lords Supper is done to fast that we don't have the time to self-examine, ask the questions, or focus. I do know some churches are trying to put more focus on the Lords Supper which I think is a good thing because Paul does say, "If you take it in an unworthy manner you bring judgement on yourself." One thing I have started doing at our church is communion talks before the Lord's Supper. I hope it gets our minds focused, helps us examine ourselves and ask the questions you put forth. Thanks for this great post. We really do need the exam today.

Terry Laudett said...

Thanks, Kinney. Actually, I prepared this post because I was asked to say a few words and pray during the communion service last Sunday. I appreciate your comments and your efforts for the church in your community.