Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Doing It All for the Glory of God

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31, NIV).

During his sermon last Sunday at the Contact Church of Christ, Ron Babbit asked the congregation, "What is the purpose of the church?" Several answers came from us. "Sharing." "Helping people get to heaven." "Helping each other." Those are good answers, but someone gave the best answer: "To give glory to God." I do not know who called out that answer, but it was just what Ron was listening for, and it led to a great sermon about giving glory to God.

Since Ron's sermon, I have been asking myself, "How can I give glory to God? How can I make him look as good as he is? How can I show people how kind and just he is? How can I demonstrate how powerful he is?" I don't have a complete set of answers to my questions, but here are a few of the thoughts that have come to me:

*I can be thankful to God (even for little things like what I eat or drink).
*I can pray to God. When he answers, I can give him all the credit.
*I can trust God when circumstances should make me anxious instead.
*I can put in a good word for Jesus in everyday conversations.
*I can be kind because of the way God has shown kindness to me.
*I can admit my sins and failures as I rely on the sacrifice and resurrection of Christ to make things right between me and God.
*I can read the Bible, acknowledging my need for God's wisdom.
*I can take the time to help someone who needs help, recognizing an opportunity to be used by God to bless another's life.

I would like to be able to give God all the glory without drawing any attention to myself, but I do not know how to do it in most situations. In most of my examples, some of the glory could be deflected to me very easily. However, I must not let it stop me from attempting to give God the glory in my life.

Do you have some ideas about how you could give God the glory in your life? Please share your thoughts in the comments section.

3 comments:

ROD said...

I can live every moment of my day being aware that those I come in contact with are seeing Jesus in me.

Anonymous said...

good post.

Terry Laudett said...

Rod,
That's a good perspective.

Nancy,
Thanks.