Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolutions 2008

With God's help, I intend to follow through with these resolutions for 2008:

1. I plan to read through the Bible. I will be using the daily reading plan from RBC Ministries (which can be found at the bottom of the Our Daily Bread devotional article each day at http://www.rbc.org) and the New International Version as my text.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16-17, NIV).

2. I plan to spend several minutes each day praying for my family, friends, co-workers, the church, various ministries, and leaders of the government. Praying for others helps prevent me from being self-absorbed, helps me to care more about others, helps the people I'm praying for as God answers my prayers for them, and brings glory to God who is able to do what I can merely ask to be done.

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone---for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:1-4, NIV).

3. Janet and I plan to sponsor a child living in poverty somewhere in the world through the Christian Relief Fund (http://www.christianrelieffund.org/). While far from rich by American standards, we recognize that we are rich by global standards. We feel compelled to help a child in need.

"Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life" (1 Timothy 6:17-19, NIV).

Please read Rubel Shelly's "New Year's Prayer" at http://www.heartlight.org/articles/200801/20080101_newyearsprayer.html for a great article to start your new year. Happy New Year!

No comments: