Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Praying for President Obama

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:1-4).

I will be the first to admit that I did not vote for President Obama. Unless he changes to a pro-life position in the next election cycle, I do not plan to vote for him the next time either.

However, I like the man. I like his commitment to being as good a husband and father as he knows how to be. I like his challenge to men (especially young black men) to step up and be real men, honorable and respectable men in their families and communities. I like his commitment to civility. I admire his ability to face obstacles with confidence and courage.

President Obama has a difficult job. He has a few flaws in his political philosophy that could cost the lives of hundreds of thousands of innocent children over the next few years. He faces terrorists and an unstable economy. Who knows what else he will face in the next few years?

The president needs our prayers. He needs our respect and our willingness to help him. He needs good advice and advisers. He needs sound spiritual counsel as he faces problems we can only imagine.

I want to follow Rick Warren's example at the inauguration this morning. (On a side note, I loved that Mr. Warren prayed in the name of Jesus in English, Spanish, Hebrew, and Arabic so that no one would misunderstand the object of his faith.) I want to pray for him to be the best president possible. I'm committed to doing it, too.

The Christian Chronicle has published an outstanding editorial about respecting and honoring our political leaders at www.christianchronicle.org/article2158683~Giving_respect%2C_honor_to_leaders. I would recommend for every Christian to read the good ideas conveyed in the piece.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I pray for our president as well. It's comforting to know that it is God who sets up our leaders. He chooses who He will work through in one way or another. I pray President Obama will return to the faith he has claimed in the past. I say 'return' because of his current stand on abortion - it just doesn't gel with faith in Christ.

Terry Laudett said...

I agree, Christy. It just doesn't gel. Thanks for the comment!