Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Family Man and Me


Last week, I was involved in a conversation with a few co-workers concerning our favorite movies. After mentioning The Family Man, one of my friends said, "You've mentioned that movie before. You must really identify with it."
I don't want to get carried away with her analysis. After all, I'm afraid that she may realize that I identify with Dumb and Dumber, too.
However, I think my co-worker may have been right about why I like the movie.
In the movie, Jack Campbell is a very successful businessman who believes that he has everything he could possibly want in the world. However, an encounter with an angel reveals to Jack that he may not be living the best life possible. Instead of a powerful businessman-playboy, Jack wakes up one Christmas morning as a confused family man with a modest job. Over a period of a few months, he learns that wealth and power cannot replace a loving wife and children (and a few good friends). Success cannot be defined by accomplishments alone; relationships are an essential ingredient to a satisfying life. When he wakes up from his fantasy, he pursues a renewed relationship with his old college girlfriend whom he dumped in order to gain his enviable position in society.
Like Jack in his fantasy world, I am not in a position of great wealth and influence. However, I have a loving wife and son. I have some really good friends. And they make a huge difference in the way I view life. I am a rich man.
"He who finds a wife finds what is good
and receives favor from the LORD" (Proverbs 18:22).
"Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him" (Psalm 127:3).

4 comments:

Rick Morgan said...

your a good man Charlie Brown!

guy said...

Terry,

Good post. i think it's disciples' jobs to demonstrate the bankruptcy and emptiness of the American dream--materialism through and through. Trouble is, so many of us in the church are every bit as plagued by it as non-believers. i get scared sometimes when i think what God might decide to do to make sure i learn what's important.

--Guy

Terry Laudett said...

Rick,
Thanks! I noticed that I have not been able to leave comments on your blog for a while. I don't try to leave comments very often, but sometimes I read something that you have written and want to let you know how much I like it. You do a great job!

Guy,
Thanks, too. You always make me think, whether I'm reading your blog or reading your comments on the blogs of others (including mine). Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I'm rich too :)