Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Best Translation of the Bible

"Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God" (Colossians 3:16, NIV).

As the story goes, four ministers were eating lunch together when the topic of Bible translations came up. The first minister said, "I prefer the King James Version, because of its dignified and majestic language." The second preacher replied, "I like to preach from the New American Standard Bible, because of how closely it sticks to a literal translation of the original Hebrew and Greek words." The next responded, "I use the Message paraphrase, because it seems to really capture the heart of God's message to us." The last preacher had remained silent during the discussion. Finally, he was asked his opinion. "I have always liked my mother's translation," he replied. One of the ministers said, "I didn't know that your mother translated the Bible." The preacher answered, "Oh, yes. She translated the Bible into her everyday life...the way she spoke, the way she prayed, and the way she treated people. Her translation was the best I have ever seen."

No comments: