Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Abortion and Public Office

"You shall not murder" (Exodus 20:13, NASB).

John Piper is one of my favorite authors. He is a pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis. On his web site, I found an article where he wrote, "No endorsement of any single issue qualifies a person to hold public office. Being pro-life does not make a person a good governor, mayor, or president. But there are numerous single issues that disqualify a person from public office...I believe that the endorsement of the right to kill unborn children disqualifies a person from any position of public office." The entire article may be read at http://desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/TopicIndex/47/1524_OneIssue_Politics_OneIssue_Marriage_and_the_Humane_Society.

I agree completely. I have absolutely no interest in voting for a politician who will do nothing to protect children from people who would kill them for profit.

So far in the presidential race, no Democrats are even interested in my vote. All of them (that I am aware of) support the unrestricted killing of pre-born children. Among Republicans, the frontrunner (the former mayor of New York City) supports abortion also. If both parties nominate pro-abortion candidates, what will I do? I will look for a responsible, pro-life, independent candidate. If one does not exist, I will leave the presidential ballot blank.

No comments: