Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Churches and the Rwandan Genocide

"You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more" (Psalm 10:17-18, NIV).

Last week, I wrote about the start of Christ's Church in Rwanda. In that post, I mentioned that the Rwandan people were disillusioned about Christianity because of the involvement of that country's churches in the genocide of 1994. Today, I found an article from an African web site as I was following some links from Christianity Today's web site. Mike O'Neal was correct about how Rwandans view the historical churches of Rwanda after their support (and lack of repentance afterward) of the mass murders. See the story at http://allafrica.com/stories/200703260402.html. I'm thankful that Christ's Church has an opportunity to live out faith in Jesus Christ in such a rightfully skeptical society.

No comments: