Friday, February 29, 2008

Why Do I Blog?

"The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters,
but a man of understanding draws them out" (Proverbs 20:5, NIV).

Why do I blog?

1. Blogging helps me to think through some ideas, concepts, and events in my life. It's a discipline that clears away some of the nonsense. When I am able to write about something, I am forced to give it a little more thought.

2. Someday, I want my son Christopher to know what I have been thinking. If I were to die tonight, he would have many fond memories of his dad. However, at age 5, those memories would become hazy and possibly confused as the years would pass. With my blog, he would be able to know me a little better. He would know what I love, hate, hope to see, and fear to ponder. He would be able to read about my challenges, failures, and victories. He would be able to sense some of my personality (although my sense of humor does not come across much on my blog). My wife Janet would not need to read my blog to learn such information, but my son would at this point in his life. This blog would be a gift for him.

3. A few other people may read this blog. I hope that they would be able to receive encouragement to trust God and follow Jesus Christ. I hope that my words would be able to provide some insight about life that could help in some way. Perhaps people may learn from some of the things I have done right and some of the things I have done wrong. I do not know how many people read this blog, but it doesn't matter much. If anyone benefits, it's a bonus.

No comments: